Self-employed contractors and consultants

Page last updated September 2023

Self-employed contractors and consultants

A self-employed contractor or consultant is someone to whom the University has issued a contract for services and can be identified using the consultancy test.

Detailed guidance and template documentation  are available on the Finance website.

Personal services companies

The University’s Finance division website contains detailed guidance on Personal Services Companies

Contract workers

Contract workers work in the University, but under the supervision and direction of an outside contractor responsible for managing and delivering a service, for example, staff of a company providing out-sourced catering or cleaning services. They are not University employees.