Standard, compulsory checks

Last updated April 2023

Appointments to all University posts will be subject to the following checks

Providing proof of right to work in the UK

It is a criminal offence to employ someone who does not have the right to work in the UK and it is a legal requirement to check that all prospective employees and workers are eligible to work in the UK.  

Find out more about Right to Work checks

Confirmation of employment history

The information provided in the CVs should be evidenced as far as possible, and any gaps in employment discussed. It is important that this information is sought in the context that experience and transferrable skills can be gained through a variety of activities and environments (for example time off for caring and family responsibilities, or voluntary activities), but the reason for the gap should be explored.

Satisfactory references

As well as seeking references from the sources given by the candidate, wherever the candidate has previously worked for the University the most recently employing department must also be approached for a reference.

Departments should check the 'additional questions' page of the application (PREVIOUS EMPLOYMENT MATTERS: Are there any disciplinary proceedings against you, which are still 'live'?)  and also references for information about any live disciplinary proceedings and follow these up with candidates. 

Find out more about references.

Checking eligibility to return to University employment (including EJRA)

Where a candidate has, for example, previously taken an ill-health retirement or has left the University under an agreement that limits return, or is applying for an Academic or RSIV (or equivalent)  role which is subject to the EJRA,  they will need to be under the EJRA to be eligible for appointment.  Candidates are asked to disclose this information in the e-recruitment system ‘Additional Questions’ page so these must be checked and satisfactorily explored before and offer is made.

Contact your HR Business Partner if the successful candidate may be approaching or above the University's EJRA and this had not been identified during the recruitment stage. The University’s standard job description template outlines the EJRA policy, and candidates are also asked to confirm their acknowledgement of the policy and that they are below the EJRA in the online recruitment application.

Find out more about the EJRA

New Starter Health Declaration

All new employees (including those changing roles) must be sent a New Starter Health Declaration form and have completed and returned it before their employment starts.

The purpose of the New Starter Health Declaration is to allow those candidates who have been offered employment with the University an opportunity to discuss any concerns they may have around their health and the effect it and any pre-existing conditions may have on their capability to perform their proposed role. It allows for advice to be sought on working at the University with a disability, such as potential work aids, adaptations and adjustments.

This form asks the new starter to declare any health condition or disability which may affect their ability to do the job they have been offered, and allows them to identify any adjustments or physical adaptations they may require. Where the candidate declares health conditions or disabilities the form will be passed to the University's Disability Adviser and/or the Occupational Health Services (as applicable) who may provide further advice.

The New Starter Health Declaration should be sent with all offers of employment. (Where indicated by the duties of the job, an appropriate New Starter Health Questionnaire should also be sent - see the guidance on additional, role-related checks for further information.)

The Declaration must be completed and returned, and any necessary actions followed up, before an individual starts work.  

Where the individual has said ‘Yes’ to the statement  ‘I have a health condition or disability that may impact my capability to perform the proposed role’ the form should be sent to the Occupational Health Service for advice before the employee starts work.

Where the individual has said ‘Yes’ to  the statement ‘I know of reasonable aids, adaptations or adjustments in the workplace that will assist me in performing my role’ the form should be forwarded to the Staff Disability Officer in the Equality and Diversity Unit for advice before the individual starts work.

Proof of address

As part of the identity check a recent utility bill or bank statement should be requested. In cases of a recent move a tenancy agreement, or an equivalent document can be presented and proof of address provided at a later date. Employees should be encouraged to keep their address up to date in the HR Information system by using the contact details screens within HR Self-Service.

Checking qualifications, professional memberships, medical registration, etc

Where a specific qualification or professional memberships has been requested the candidate should be asked to provide evidence to prove they are genuine. Original certificates and/or transcripts of qualifications or memberships must be provided. Documents that are not in English should have certified translations and where a qualification is unfamiliar authenticity should be verified.

For those requiring professional registrations (such as medics) the relevant professional register should be checked. 

Details of frequently used online registers can be found below. For other registrations, please go directly to the website of the particular professional body to search for the online registration checking facility

General Medical Council (GMC)

  • Check using the doctor’s surname or a reference number (if known)
  • Status should be ‘Registered’
  • Note the expiry date as the day before the Full Registration Date (in the current year)

The Health and Care Professionals Council

  • Check using the health or care professional’s name or their registration number (if known)
  • Note the expiry date

Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)

  • Check using the surname or the Practitioner PIN number (registration number)

General Dental Council (GDC)

  • Check using the surname or the registration number
  • The Register should be checked in January each year, as the registrations run 1 January to 31 December
  • Status should be ‘Registered’
  • Record expiry date as 31 December (in current year).